Friday, February 08, 2013

South Maui 1978

Ulupalakua and South Maui 1978

This view is from Ulupalakua ranch which sits on the south part of Maui and is owned by some friends of the PND family.  We went to school with number one son who now runs things up there.  The PND family moved to Maui in 1977 (about three weeks before Elvis died - although the two events are not related) and if you look almost dead center at the white building on the coast you will locate our home.  PND senior was general manager of a hotel and we lived above the store for five years.  Not too bad living at a resort while in high school.

Needless to say this image will be a lot different now with all the development up and down that coast.  Much less so up at the ranch but recently they have been trying to put up a wind farm and some locals aren't too happy.  Hawaii imports all it's energy - seems like a good idea to me.

One of those odd coincidences that make you wonder how things can be so interconnected when you would never had thought it, happened to me related to this image.  In the early weeks of my first year at Bowker, I walked into our Financial Controller's office and she had one of those generic 'inspirational' posters on the wall.  I had never been in the office before nor met her before this meeting.  The image was actually taken from a boat out at sea looking towards the spot where this image was taken.  I looked at this poster and said "See that white building, I used to live there."   No one seemed that impressed.  I thought it was the weirdest coincidence.

A few years later I ended up hiring her and she had the office next to mine and every time I went in her office I saw her picture of my old home.

In addition to the images I've posted on Flickr and those I've periodically posted on PND, I have now produced a Big Blurb Book: From the Archive 1960 -1980 of some of the images I really thought were special.

I now have an iPad version of this book for sale ($4.99) on the Blurb site which you can find here: STORE

No comments: