Thursday, May 26, 2011

Auckland and The Big I: March 1971

Auckland and The Big I: March 1971
Another weekly image from the family archive.

We lived in Auckland, NZ between 1969 and 1973 at the Intercontinental which is the large building in the center of this photo. Taken in March 1971, you can imagine Auckland has changed significantly since then and now resembles Seattle quite a bit. Auckland even has a needle and many office towers but in those days the Big I was one of the largest (if not the largest) building in the city. The distance from the hotel to the docks wasn't far and my mother used to take us for walks around the piers which were both operational; hence the freighter on the left, and completely accessible. We would have walked around the pier in the center of this shot many times. Later I recalled, they built a large container crane which we could see constructed from our living room window and with that access to the docks gradually dissipated.

Join me on Flickr.

No comments: